Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Lots of Christmases Past - Lots of Backstory

by Linda Thorne

Why does it seem Christmas gets here quicker every single year? There were a whole lot of years when my step children were children. Those were the greatest Christmases of all and I remember them so well. We lived in Denver then, so those were often white Christmases. The last white Christmas we had in Nashville was in 2010. Our children are grown now with children of their own and all live in different states. This year it will be Mo and Abby (above) and my husband and I again and the memories of Christmases past or what writers call backstory.

Speaking of that, I'd like to write a post saying my second book in the series is polished and ready to be turned over to my publisher. I'm afraid that's not the case. Right now my biggest struggle is backstory. The main plot is built around a 30-year-old cold case with my lead character, at the age of 20, being the intended victim. Someone else was murdered in her stead. I love the story line, but weaving in an inciting incident that happened 30 years earlier is not only difficult, but a science. A friend of mine read much of the book and gave me suggestions and then warned me to tread carefully in finding the right places to drop in the backstory. I'm so thankful she's willing to look at it again once I've struggled through this process.

Does anyone else find Christmas is here before you know it?

4 comments:

Kathleen Kaska said...

I'm in the same boat you are, Linda. Tying up loose ends, adding details, taking others out; polishing my latest mystery. This is the hard part and I'd hope to have it finished by, not necessarily Christmas, but by the end of the year. It "ain't gonna" happen. But I'm working on it everyday and that's what counts. Cute dogs, BTW.

Carole Price said...

Maybe it's an age thing, or my accident that has slowed me down, or a couple months left off the calendar, but I'm spinning my wheels trying to get shopping and decorating done. Then there is promoting my latest book which takes priority over everything else....well, not quite everything. Sigh...

authorlindathorne said...

Thanks Kathleen and Carole for stopping by. This is a busy time of the year and it's coming up fast (as always). Lots to do.

Liane Spicer said...

The years do seem to be speeding by faster and faster. Slow down, Father Time!

Balancing backstory takes a lot of work, a lot of revision, a lot of craft. Keep going--you'll get there.